Monday, April 15, 2013

Logging

TV:  Game of Thrones, Season 3 ep 3

This season is easily the most complicated and confusing of all.  No longer is there a main character, but rather a series of independent stories.  I love it, because I gobble up the exposition and mythology and history, but I imagine it disorienting and confusing for many viewers.  The showrunners deserve patience, however, because they've done it in every season, made all the elements come together by the end.  Also, the reason Benioff and Weiss wanted to make the show in the first place is for the 3rd book/season, so I imagine it is all building to something.

TV:  Louie CK:  Oh My God

It must be a sign of something that I've fallen asleep on consecutive nights watching it.  There is wisdom in some of what Louie is saying, but the humor is oddly spaced out, and I find myself laughing quite a bit less than in the best comedy specials.  I can't tell if the bit about him having trouble putting on socks is funny or actually really lame.  I mean, the bit is about having trouble putting on socks.  Say it aloud:  putting on socks.  Is this funny or just stupid?  I went to an amateur comedy show the other week where a guy did 5 minutes of how much he liked A-1 Sauce and titties.  I can't stop thinking about it, not because it was good, but because it was so preposterous.  "I love A-1 sauce.  I put it on fries.  I put it on eggs.  I put it on steak.  I put it on hamburgers.  I put it on toast.  I love A-1 sauce."  This was the bit.  Then it goes "You know what I else I love?  Titties!  I love big titties, small titties, black titties, white titties, brown titties, all kind of titties."

I suppose I should finish the comedy special, but I hold that Louie's first two seasons of his show are the best expression of his POV.  Some comedians are best on stage:  Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy (although his movies are close), and Richard Pryor.  Some are best on TV:  Louie, Larry David, and Seinfeld are coming to mind.

No comments: