Friday, March 15, 2013

Logging

Film:  Wild At Heart

Since there is nothing in the theater to watch, I headed to a screening of one of the few Lynch films I haven't seen.  It felt like a rough draft of things to come in Twin Peaks and Lost Highway.  Not one of my favorite Lynch films, but some terrific bits later on in the movie.  Willem Defoe is a madman doing his version of Frank Booth.  And I'm not sure if people given Laura Dern enough credit for what she pulls off in these movies.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a declining space for a filmmaker like Lynch?  Like I cannot imagine a filmmaker coming along with such a strange and aberrant vision who is also able to find an audience.  Maybe the miracle is that there was one, as opposed to the probability there will not be another.

No comments: