Saturday, October 06, 2012

The Joy of the A's

A love letter to A's.  I got into baseball the same way as this guy - reading box scores and listening on the radio.  I started liking the A's when they sucked - and it never made any sense.  My favorite player was this lefty right fielder named Mike Davis, a guy who was like a career .270 nobody.  It defied logic.  I remember the first of the Billy Beane years when I would diligently compare the A's to the Yankees on paper.  We had Giambi. Tejada, Dye, Chavez, Huddy, Foulke, Mulder, Zito...I would always come out thinking - we have a shot.  We're not "better," but we have a shot.  Even the Milton Bradley, Frank Thomas year, it seemed like we could kinda match up on paper.

This year is different.  We don't match up on paper.  We don't even care about paper.  We just play and it's all gravy.  It's unlike anything I've ever seen before.  Logic is out the window.  This is magic.  This is baseball how you play as a kid in the 12 year old leagues where you don't think about sabermetrics or salary caps or tv contracts.  Enjoy it while you can, it don't last.

No comments: