Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Logging

Film:  Moonstruck

Stopped at the library to pick up a different movie, but of course they don't have it (libraries don't generally have a very good dvd collection), and Moonstruck stuck out for some reason.  I've never seen the movie all the way through and figured I should have.  So I watched it.  Yikes.  For a movie that I remember getting critical accolades - it won Best Actress for Cher and best original screenplay - I found it quite dull.  And really weird at times.  The tone was strange.  I rarely laughed and I think it was supposed to be a comedy.  I don't really know what it was supposed to be.  What was interesting was how different it is from contemporary films.  How "small" it felt.  This movie would be a tiny indy movie today, but back then, it was one of the smash hits of the year.  The ethos of the movie certainly felt like from a different era, and the director, Norman Jewison, I suppose was from very much a different era.  Still, I would say the film really does not hold up over time (if it ever did).

No comments: