Friday, September 07, 2012

Logging

Book:  2666 - Book 1

Although this book is a 5 part novel, it was originally written as 5 separate novels.  I am going to log as I finish each book.  The first book is tremendous.  A stark reminder of the power and strength of the novel as a form (and not merely the basis for a movie).  Simple story about four European literature professors brought together over their shared study of a reclusive German author.  A love triangle emerges between the one female of the group and the two eligible men.  The third man is handicapped.  They discover the author may be living in a Mexican border city I took to be a substitute for Juarez.  The three professors journey to Mexico and begin to act strange and develop nightmares and I can only imagine where we go from here.

I once visited Juarez on a day trip from El Paso when I was young.  It may have been 1992 or 1993.  It was the first time I ever set foot in another country.  It seemed like the worst place on the planet, then.  Of course, since then I've seen many other bad places.  But per this book, and the real history, hundreds of killings of women have taken place down there since then up to the present day...perhaps my initial impression as a child was correct.

No comments: