Saturday, August 27, 2011

Logging

Film: Our Idiot Brother

Better than I thought. The lady actors really carry this movie - Zooey Deschenal, Elizabeth Banks, Kathryn Hahn and then serviceable performances by Rashida Jones and Emily Mortimer. Rudd, Adam Scott, and Steve Coogan were fun as well. There was an ease to the performances in the movie - working with a mediocre (at best) script.

It made me think about Rashida Jones...I wonder if she thought she was being edgy by playing a lesbian? She wasn't. I think Rashida Jones, if she ever wants to break out and really test herself as an actress needs to get away from playing "the cool chick." Play a bitch. Be cruel. Be a bad guy. I dunno. I think she's trapped herself into this cool-chick persona too much. She is too comfortable with the rest of the world and people sucking and managing to be above it all.

Zooey Deschenal is a charmer, but I don't think she can carry movies. She is a perfect supporting actor. For the entire movie, I thought Elizabeth Banks was Rachel McAdams. Don't ask me why. I was thinking "Damn, Rachel McAdams is GREAT in this movie." So I guess that's some sort of compliment to Elizabeth Banks.

Paul Rudd, Adam Scott, and Jason Bateman...they need a new category for these kind of actors...they are incredible versatile...they can slide between TV and movies, comedy and drama. They aren't quite leading guys, but not quite just supporting guys. They aren't great, but never bad either. Don't know what to call 'em. Straight men?

No comments: