Thursday, April 01, 2004

Seinfeld

Being a Seinfeld fanatic, I sometimes get asked what is my favorite episode. I rarely have a solid answer, but one of my favorites was on this evening, "Yada, Yada, Yada." All of the plots are good in this episode, George dates a girl who Yada Yada's everything, including her shoplifting habit. Kramer and Mickey double-date women and can't figure out who likes whom. Elaine tries to help her friends adopt a baby, but inadvertently breaks up their marriage. And Jerry has issues with Tim Watley, his dentist, over the use of Jewish jokes.

My two favorite parts:

1. Jerry goes to a priest to complain about his theory that Watley converted to Judaism so he could use the jokes. The priest says,"so this offends you as a Jew." Seinfeld responds, "No, it offends me as a comedian." Genius.

2. The very end, when Jerry congratulates Robert Wagner, guest starring as Mickey's parents at his wedding, threatens to punch Jerry because he's an anti-dentite. Jerry snickers and his date, played by Deborah Messing, date consoles him by making a dentist joke. Jerry responds, "Dentists, who needs them." She says,"Yeah, and then if we could just get rid of the Blacks and Jews." Freeze frame on Jerry. So funny.

And then tonight, I noticed they had a epilogue I hadn't seen before, since the earlier ending was so perfect. At the end of the wedding, Mickey's girl admits to Kramer she wanted him the whole time. This ties into an earlier moment when Kramer attends the wedding with his date (and spurning Jerry because of his anti-dentite views).

No comments: