Sunday, June 04, 2023

Anchorage - Day 3

A drive out to Wasilla, home of Sarah Palin. Quick note: driving in Alaska is a blast. Roads are clear. Scenery looks so ridiculous - almost seems fake - like a painted backdrop in an old studio film. I almost would prefer to be a passenger than driver to keep my eyes peeled for wildlife. We wisited family friends lake house outside Wasilla. I discover Alaska has 3 million lakes. Most are inaccessible. The lake we visited is called Horse Shoe lake. There seem to be about 30-40 lakes nearby. Of note - once off the highway, we encountered maybe 1-2 other cars driving 20 minutes to the house. I've never been to a lake house in this remote a spot before. Most of Alaska basically feels like this - like you're in the most remote spot you've ever been. Just being here a few days I get the feeling of needing to know basics about how to handle a run in with a bear or moose. I find myself wanting to know basic car mechanics because you can simply feel like - oh man - I could be stuck here and basically need to figure out something here on my own. The people I've met are beyond outdoorsy-- they are self reliant.

In this lake, there are clams/oyster shells piled up at the shore. I guess the muskrats eat them. The oysters are no good for human consumption I'm told. In the water, pike eat all the other fish and can be caught - they're up to 3 feet long. We take a spin on a pontoon boat. See only 1 other boat on the lake. The lake does have a number of homes around it, but it's very quiet. In the winter it freezes and you can ice fish out there. 

For lunch we eat moose hot dogs, halibut, and smoked salmon. Halibut is the best thing I've eaten since I got here. Smoked salmon was the 2nd best. 

After the party, we drive up to Hatcher Pass and the Independence Mine. The mine area was closed off to traffic, but many people were parking near Hatcher Pass and walking up in that direction. We were tired and I didn't like the thought of dragging the kids there. Just walking in the parking lot you could feel the elevation in your legs. But Hatcher Pass was this amazing little area. About 8 tiny little A-frame cabins and then a cafe/restaurant serving beer and playing music like it was a ski area (but with about 15 people hanging around). Skiers go here and hike up the mountain and ski down. It looked incredible, but there were avalanche warnings everywhere so one would probably need to be pretty knowledgeable to safely go.

Sitting on the deck outside of the bar restaurant had to be one of the most spectacular views in the world and being tired toward the end of the day - probably didn't get to enjoy it as much as I should have.

Dinner back at AirBnB tonight - save some dough and be a bit healthier...

No comments: