Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Student Debt Reduction

If it fails in court, I propose an alternative:

An open fund where all individuals who feel debt should be relieved may contribute any amount of their own personal money to the cause. That money then will be apportioned to those making below 125K a year. I would even argue there ought to be some type of matching program where more an individual contributes to their own debt reduction, the more matching funds they receive. All paid for by the "majority" of Americans who support debt relief.

I would put up some money for this for two reasons: 1) Despite my policy opinions, I am sympathetic to students with debt 2) It would be sensible policy to allow people to put their money where their mouths are rather than create more perverse incentives for the people in power to hijack money from those out of power.

No comments: