Wednesday, February 23, 2022

The World Now

When I was younger and read about the horrors of WW2, etc, I never imagined we would live through such awful, irrational times. Yet I can't help but fear we are very much headed that way. Here is a small story, but it speaks to a basic inhumanity unleashed by our own systems: an account of parents separated from their 11 month year old baby in Hong Kong because of a positive COVID test.

If vaccinated and otherwise healthy, there is no reason not to risk getting COVID to be with your baby. What kind of sick world thinks different?

And I guess my point is that I thought basic humanity would triumph over rules, fear, systems. Maybe it does in the long term...but those others things can sure fuck things up in the short and medium term quite a lot. 

No comments: