Friday, February 25, 2022

Putin and Russia

Not to brag, but I'm a pretty good Risk and Settlers of Catan player (just beat my family tonight). If I were running the show and wanted to geostrategically manuever in our present world crisis, here's what I'd do:

1) Offer Putin a way to honorably retreat. He's a trapped animal right now. Ukrainians are united against Russians. The West are united (for once) against them. His own soldiers know it. Russians are marching in the streets against the war. Oligarch's in his own country are questioning him. The price? I think Ukrainian neutrality and not being part of NATO should be offered in exchange for--

2) Russian neutrality with China. We need to drive a wedge between Russia and China. And in fact, one of my goals would be to bring the Russians closer to the US. I don't care that the Russians are weird and capable of great evil. In a bar fight, I prefer the asshole brawler on my side more than the other side. Instead of helping deescalate this present situation, the Chinese took the intel we shared with them on Russian troop movements and shared it with Putin. The payback for that type of betrayal in Risk or Settlers is to offer Russia our friendship and mercy, a way to get what they want and simultaneously pull them from the Chinese orbit. In the grand scheme of things, if things ever really get hot with the US vs China, we are going to want both Russia and India on our side (or at the very least, aggressively neutral). 


No comments: