Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Logging

Film: Equalizer 2

First one was better.

Film: Coming 2 America and Coming To America

I turned part 2 off during the scene when Eddie Murphy's son lectures the dude whose married to Scarlett Johannson about his white privilege. Oy vey! I can't believe Eddie Murphy let such sloppy, unfunny bullshit slide. This is the guy who made one of the best films of last year: Dolemite is My Name!

So Part 2 was more or less unwatchable. 

Part 1...still one of my favorite comedies of all time. And also just a really great movie story. Full of ironies, layered conflicts, and among the most brilliant performances by both Arsenio and Eddie. In hindsight, a bit of a crime they both weren't nominated for Oscars in some type of special category.

The parts that made me laugh the hardest this time around - Randy Watson, Eddie singing joyously and people yelling at him from apartments, random animals passing by in Zamunda. I feel like one of Eddie's secret great moves is capturing the public reaction to the needy performer and the humor between those contrasts. I can't help but wonder if Eddie sees himself that way--

Film: Poltergeist

Not really a very good movie, despite several memorable moments. 

No comments: