Sunday, November 22, 2020

Logging

Film: No Way Out

I feel like I've seen this film before, and upon a rewatch I remember why I didn't remember it. 

Can anyone pull up a tally of the times Gene Hackman plays a powerful man who kills or otherwise commits a horrible act against a woman?

Side question: how many actors equally excel playing both a hero and a villain? Not that Hackman is the villain in this film, but...

TV: P Valley S1 e2-3

I quite enjoy the show. Preferable to Atlanta and the only reason I consider the show a comp is the African American perspective on the so called "dirty south." Someone could write a good paper on the two shows because they illustrate different dramatic impulses - ones I would broadly state as an emphasis on the melodramatic (P Vally) vs an emphasis on a specific visual sensibility (Atlanta). Not to say P Valley is not cinematic (it is), nor is it to say Atlanta is not dramatic (it is), but there are different aesthetics privileged in each show. Basically, P Valley feels mostly influenced by dramatists (creator is a playwright) and Atlanta is influenced by Sundance movies (even though Donald Glover is a comedian, I think).

I would guess Lynne Ramsey is an influence on the folks who create Atlanta whereas Aaron Sorkin is an influence on those who created P Valley -- if I had to guess. 

1 comment:

PWD said...

Absolute Power! Half-baked Eastwood in the nineties is still better than most.