Monday, February 10, 2020

Logging

Film: Dragged Across Concrete

My type of movie, but nevertheless one I couldn't recommend to non-like minded cinema goers. There's a sloppiness to the filmmaking which sort of could work to charming in certain types of movies - thinking early Sam Raimi or Clerks - that is, comedies or horror - but I think does a disservice to the crime drama form.

Still, the tone, scenes, performances were pretty excellent and for adventurous male cinema goers, I think a lot to like.

I understand how/why the film is partially buried due to the PC culture, but actually one of the elements I thought was handled inelegantly was the overt political statement the film was trying to make (although I'm sure the fans and the filmmaker might deny it) about rough skilled men getting the heave-ho in an increasingly feminized society.

TV: The Oscars

Background watching. I'm happy Parasite won, I suppose because Bong Joon Ho is one of my favorite filmmakers. But IMO, he didn't need an Oscar and the Oscars have been so tainted by their own agenda, I can't help but feel a bit of cynicism like when a douche discovers your favorite band and begins to claim it as their own.

No comments: