Wednesday, May 22, 2019

True 

The rediscovery of great literature.

I still recall many of my English teachers from grade and high school...maybe moreso than any of my other teachers. I remember in high school I had this teacher Mr Feeney, who all the students liked because he was "easy." I remember sometimes in class, he would just give us 30 minutes to read. A part of me thinks back - jeez - wasn't that an easy assignment for him! But think about it. We were sitting there reading Hemingway, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald... Was there a better use of our time?

And the only other thing I remember - not the assignments or the grades or any of that - but goddamn did Mr. Feeney love the books he taught. I can't remember a damn thing he said, but I do remember he loved books and loved writing and loved sharing that with us.

I guess what I'm thinking now is that I somehow had a lot of things wrong. That the "easy" teacher was communicating to me perhaps the most important thing one can get: a love of reading. What were the "harder," more challenging teachers teaching me? Perhaps how to succeed.

Jury's out on what was more important.

No comments: