Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Reparations Fund

My counter for those interested in reparations would be a fund that anyone who feels guilty about their role in enslaving black americans or that they've unfairly benefitted from slavery, ought to be able to donate as much as their money as they'd like in order to right their grievous wrong. Myself, having come from Chinese immigrants and Quakers, honestly don't feel like my money ought to go that way. Also, I wasn't involved in the slave trade. Neither were they. And also, I'm not responsible for what my ancestors did. I don't get credit for the great things, nor deserve the blame for the bad things. I find it strange this issue is coming to the forefront these days.

Along these lines, should we be obligated to pay some taxes to the ancestors of Alexander Hamilton and anyone else we can think of who helped build this modern economy we all benefit from? Shouldn't we owe benefits to those who helped us as well as those we wronged? It all gets very confusing very fast.

No comments: