Monday, February 25, 2019

Logging

TV: Oscars, True Detective s 3, the rest, Pen15 e. 1-2

Film: Pale Rider

"Every time somebody's driving, I lose."

There are many un-PC things that can be said about the Oscars this year, but Lada Gaga and Bradley Cooper seemed to exist on another plane altogether than the entire rest of the show. Granted, I was only half watching.

True Detective's final episode felt my eyeballs watering from wanting to go to sleep so bad. Yikes. Checking in on my predictions:

My predictions:
-I will finish the season (yes)
-My favorite parts will continue to be scenes in the car between Dorff and Ali. (yes)
-One could cut all the relationship stuff between Ali and his wife and we would not miss it at all (yes)
-Ali's son will be found to be sleeping with the documentary filmmaker (yes)
-We will get no significant insight into the powers truly behind the sex crime, etc and the end of the season will be slightly dissatisfying. (no)

We got insight into the crime alright. With a flashback and voice over explanation about exactly how it happened! Oy Vey.

Pen15 is good, but maybe not my cup of tea? After first two episodes, I was longing for more of the side characters instead of the main relationship. The one girl is leagues better than the other girl.

Oh, and Pale Rider: underrated!

2 comments:

PWD said...

Yes, to the Gaga/Cooper moment existing on another plane at the Oscars. I re-watched the performance. So striking all away around. Ghosts of classic Hollywood stardom, chemistry and professionalism.

Greg said...

and talent. gaga playing the goddamn piano. all the rest of the folks just showing off their snark and cheap political attitudes.