Saturday, September 08, 2018

The LeVeon Bell Thing

So I heard Cowherd's take on the Bell situation the other day. It was basically: dude, you signed up for this when you decided to be a running back. And I get it's a little weird when his teammates and QB are all calling him out. But...but...but...I think it's a little telling when all the fantasy folks had the same analysis on Bell: the Steelers were going to "run him into the ground" and not sign him to a long term deal.

Beyond being a bit dehumanizing, if all the fantasy guys know the Steelers plan, isn't it pretty obvious that Bell would be aware of the same plan? And if you were Bell and you knew your employer planned to run you into the ground and not resign you -- doesn't holding out for a more secure, guaranteed contract make sense? Especially when you have some leverage, ie are healthy and the championship window is closing for the Steelers?

With what we know about RB careers, I don't blame the guy. That said, I think Bell could play for a long time. I've noticed he runs very gracefully and doesn't seem to take huge hits like some of these guys who initiate violence when they run.

No comments: