Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Logging

Movies: Moonlight and Edge of Seventeen and Wild Strawberries

Edge of Seventeen is one of the better movies I've seen this year, and I'm wondering why more people aren't talking about it. I mean, here you have a female writer/director and leading role, it should be the film de jour for the moment. And yet, I don't think I know anyone who saw it. I only watched it because it was a screener and the level of storytelling craft, I think, is quite high.

Moonlight ultimately made me feel sad and depressed. I'm not sure if this is a grand accomplishment. And yet, it seems to be working from a marketing standpoint. It flatters the egos of all progressive minded people. It's kinda like you get to be "woke" if you watch and like Moonlight and that to me seems a little cheap.

Wild Strawberries had some of best scenes I've ever seen in cinema. I now understand why people love Bergman. It reminded me of the first time I watched Rules of the Game. Quite a remarkable movie.

No comments: