Saturday, February 27, 2016

Martini Thoughts

-Gin is superior to Vodka. In fact, I don't really drink Vodka martinis anymore. That said, Vodka martinis got me started and were a gateway to the better, gin variety. Sort of like how Oz lead to the Wire.

-Martin Miller is both the best and the best value gin I can find. The Wellsbourne version costs about $6 more per bottle and is worth the upgrade.

-Spanish olives

-Dry vermouth should be bought in smaller bottles. After about a month the vermouth is not as good. Dolin and Noilly Prat are both good, but there are other brands I want to try.

-Other than the ingredients the single most important factor is getting the martini as cold as possible.

-I like the ratio 6 parts gin to 1 part vermouth and 1 part olive juice, although I am playing with increasing the vermouth to 4 to 1 or even 3 to 1.

-Gins I want to try: Plymouth, Ford, Greylock, Beefeater

-Notes on gins I've tried lately: St. Georges - tastes like a christmas tree. I like it for the difference, but cannot say I'd drink this every night. Bombay London Gin - classic, good value for the big bottle. I'll say, however, I'm not drinking a ton right now, so when I indulge, I like to go for a little tastier gin. But I love having the Bombay as a bar standby and I like it for G&Ts. Hendricks - good, but for the price point, I go for Martin Miller.

No comments: