Thursday, February 12, 2015

Variable Employment

I'm in a field that is completely variable. It is not what I was raised to expect out of work and I find it challenging. But I can also say, it is not boring or soul deadening. The jury is still out, although I suspect, in the end, it will be what I suspected: good in some ways, bad in others.

Since most personal financial advice is based upon the premise of a salary, the way I deal with it is living "as if" I made a certain amount each year. I do not change how I live if I make more or less money, with the expectation that over the long term it will even out. So far, it works, but obviously in a prolonged season of lousy crops, I don't know what I'd do. I think it is important to note before the last 50-80 years, most human beings made a living this way, so it is certainly doable.

No comments: