Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Logging

Film: We're the Millers

Okay, so I didn't watch the movie, but I came home from Rage and the wife was watching and I caught the end. She didn't like it and nor did I in the few bits I saw. So the premise is Jennifer Aniston is a stripper, Emma Roberts is a homeless girl, and Jason Sudeikis is a pot dealer. Not that I have a ton of familiarity with strippers, pot dealers, and homeless people, but it strikes me that none of these people were well cast. I know its easy to jump on movies that don't work -- but this movie seemed particularly "off" in just the few bits I saw. It bore no relationship to life. It seemed like a vehicle for "crazy stuff to happen" with an arbitrary lesson learned by the protagonist so that the filmmakers could feel like they were making a movie. Really awful stuff. Also, the movie looked like bad television. I had just seen Rage and it was not a well directed film. Camera was in strange places at times, the transitions were inelegant, story beats were inserted and never paid off, and there were ridiculous, unmotivated slow-motion shots. But at least the movie was trying. It was experimenting with direction, unsuccessfully. But "We're the Millers" was like watching a football team going out and playing to not get humiliated and being okay losing, whereas at least Rage was trying to win, even if they got their asses kicked. I dunno if that analogy makes any sense.

No comments: