Saturday, October 25, 2014

Logging

Film: Birdman

Que pasa?!? I must be totally out of it, because this movie was not good. First of all, it is supposed to be a dark comedy or a comedy of some sort. I laughed maybe once. I was bored. I wanted the thing to be over. My mind remembered during the movie, oh yeah, I never like Iñárritu movies.

Let's talk about the main flaw: writing! The dialog and drama in this film is terrible and borderline incompetent. Naomi Watts has this line "God, why don't I have any self respect!" right after she stood up for herself and told Ed Norton off for acting like a piece of shit. It made no sense.

Several characters give unprompted speeches about the past. Dull. Very dull. Inarritu's dramatic instincts are pure melodrama and the only thing that distinguishes his films from soap opera is the flamboyant direction and inclusion of massive ACTORS ACTING REALLY SERIOUSLY.

The discussion of Superhero movies in the culture was about as interesting as Superhero movies themselves. Is real life Michael Keaton really haunted about playing Batman? Or any of these actors who played a silly role in the past? Do I think Val Kilmer sits around lamenting his star has fallen and worried about doing "'real art"? I doubt it. I bet they think about incidents in their past much like most people think about incidents of their past -- "oh yeah, that's who I was then, huh. Isn't that kinda funny to think about. What do I feel like eating for lunch?"

Anyways...I just heard a lot of praise and buzz for the film, which just goes to show the culture of movie criticism sucks just as much as the movies themselves these days. Maybe more.

1 comment:

Charles said...

I more or less agree.
Did you see this review: http://thedissolve.com/reviews/1152-birdman/

Which starts with the words: Alejandro González Iñárritu is a pretentious fraud...

The guy is incompetent when it comes to portraying genuine emotion in a movie.