Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Shame, Addiction, Narcissism

On Weiner.

Last night, I was listening to the Left, Right, and Center podcast regarding Weiner.  I've never laughed so hard in the car.  For some reason, just trying to talk about the story itself gives me so much delight.  Not because I relish the fall of any particular man, but just the fundamental details of the story are some comic and tragic.  His name, for chrissake.  My actor friend pointed out is straight out of Restoration Comedy, where characters were often named by vices or traits.

And as the article points out -- when the flaw in a man's character causes his own downfall -- it makes the story tragic (in the Greek sense).  Ahh...really just a brilliant media story if nothing else.


1 comment:

Charles said...

It was an amazing interview on Stern. Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGj9shV6eG0