Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Recent Movies

Winter's Bone - I enjoyed it. Sort of what I expect from a good indy film - exploring a world Hollywood won't enter. Good acting. Brisk plot. There was some confusing elements and a few miscast characters - but all that is to be expected in something like this. John Hawkes is having a dream career.

Breakdown - Kurt Russell loses his wife and must battle crazy truckers to get her back. A tight, old fashioned action movie. Suffers a bit from a totally absurd plan by the bad guys. Still, enjoyable as a man-needs-to-save woman in crisis movie.

Color of Money - A strange Scorcese film. I must have seen this as a youth, but don't remember it well. A good mentor-apprentice relationship with a hot chick. In watching it this time, if felt very predictable. The twists practically had neon signs waving "guess what, this is going to happen here."

My Own Private Idaho - only watched parts because the DVD was fucked up. Am I homophobic if I don't like this movie very much?

The Warriors - they made a version of the film I hadn't seen before. I think I've seen this film in parts as a youth as it used to be on TNT or other strange cable channels all the time and I would catch segments here and there. So I watched start to finish this time, but they did these strange comic book transitions that I really didn't like that I never remembered from seeing in my youth. "Warriors - you are good. "The best." Yeah!

Breaking Bad - if you've seen all the best HBO shows, Breaking Bad is the logical next step. It's good.

No comments: