Sunday, April 11, 2010

Good, But Strange, Double Feature

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and We Own the Night. There is no thematic tie or design to this double feature. I watched Rom and Michele because I'm using a similar plot conceit in a new script and wanted to be educated on the movie. I found nothing to steal. This movie is very, very strange. Enjoyable, but totally weird. A 10 minute random dream sequence in the middle of the movie? Mira Sorvino's voice? Was she joking? Is her voice really that deep? Just the overall slow paced absurdity of this film was surprising to me. It had the overall messy feel and goofy humor of 30 Rock without the wicked pace or political elements.

We Own The Night. No one I know talks about James Gray as a filmmaker, which is strange, because the guy seems to be making pretty interesting melodramatic movies. We Own the Night is a fine film. I can tell because when something big happened, I didn't want the movie to be over. A 3rd sequence plot element came as a complete surprise/shock to me - didn't see it coming at all - and it's rare when that happens in a film. And it works. I will watch his other movies. Some excellent lighting and shots in this movie as well.

No comments: