Thursday, April 29, 2010

ACL Surgery

Next week, I'll be having ACL Surgery. A real bummer. But I'm trying to put as a good a spin on it as possible. At least one mystery is solved - how it happened. It was puzzling me the last couple weeks how on a routine soccer play, I managed to completely tear my ACL after no prior injuries and without hearing a drastic "pop!" Well, it turns out I mostly likely partially tore it while skiing a week a before and then fully tore it by playing soccer the following week. The rate of my athletic play this year was extraordinarily high. I went on two ski trips, was playing soccer twice a week, and throwing in basketball and long bike rides whenever possible. The ACL tear was undoubtedly the result of pushing my nearly 32 year old body a little too much.

So now. What to do? 6 months of no major athletic activity and a lot of physical therapy. My life is going to become much more simple. It has to. Because running around won't be possible. I may end up joining a gym only because I'll need to do additional rehab on my own hours. I have a long standing moratorium on gyms because I hate going to them and they make me think of the montage in Rocky IV where Rocky trains in the wilderness and Drago trains in the fancy Soviet Gyms. That's how I think of gyms - the place where Ivan Drago trains. Maybe I'll find one with a pool, so I can swim. Even though I don't like swimming. I figure on having lots of free time to watch movies/tv and read. Which may be nice. I'm thinking of revisiting some old shows - possibly 6 Feet Under and Cheers. Any other suggestions? I'll probably dig into a big novel. Maybe something Russian, even. Or maybe Ken Follett.

1 comment:

sher58 said...

We have the first three seasons of Six Feet Under if you want to borrow, I think it may be my favorite show of all time, drama anyway. Also you must watch Band Of Brothers.