Monday, April 27, 2009

Merger

The big news around town is the WMA-Endeavor merger - or more accurately - the Ari Gold-tries-to-take-over-Hollywood story.

Does any of this matter? I don't know. I know Endeavor needs money to fuel their rapid growth and attempt to "take over." Although, it isn't clear to me why Endeavor wants to "take over" or what "taking over" even means. William Morris is rich and old and presumably a bit lazy. They need Endeavor's energy to grow - or risk dying off - I guess.

It seems to me the merger will likely lead to both companies shedding dead wood. I don't know what either agency wants to contribute to the movie/entertainment biz. Agencies, to me, are simply about serving their clients - finding them jobs, the best deals, and good working fits. They are basically a buffer between talent and the studios. Oh, and yes, they want to make money.

I suppose agencies, like everyone else, are worried about future revenue streams in this new world order without television and dvd revenue. Now, we've got two huge agencies, and two medium sized agencies, and a spate of small agencies. How does this affect movies and television content - I have no idea.

No comments: