Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Menial Jobs

I tend to agree with the sentiment here.

Snobbish disdain for such menial but productive activities could scarcely be more clearly implied than by the writer above; and it is precisely this disdain, rather than anything intrinsic in the task, that renders it humiliating.


I really find it terribly distasteful when people have contempt for certain types of work. What's wrong with flipping burgers? I like burgers! I'm glad someone flips them. And I'm especially glad when they do it well.

Incompetence bugs me much more...in any field. The cleaning people at my office suck ass. Every Monday we come in with half cleaned dishes and the coffee machine with old coffee sitting in it. It drives me up the wall. At the same time, we get query letter from people who can barely construct a sentence. Why in God's name do these people want to write when they CAN'T write!!! Why do these cleaning people clean when they can't clean???

Find a different job! I read a query letter today and yelled out: "Get a job unpacking oranges for Chrissake. Be useful to society."

Anyway, that was my reaction.

No comments: