Tuesday, July 04, 2006

What Do You Know?

My predictions held up - France upset Brazil and Italy beat Germany.

At this point, I think the Italians must be the favorites. They haven't given up a goal. And now their offense has come on strong. Two cross bars, several other opportunities, and finally, the two goals.

For a "defensive" team, they sure look creative on the offensive end. I particularly like how their defenders make runs into the attack, particularly Zambrotta, my favorite player on the team.

France v. Portugal is a tough one to predict. I will be rooting heavily for France, but I also think two things: it's tough to come back and play the next week after a completing a huge upset and that France thinks it can win the whole thing again and might look past Portugal.

That being said, I don't think Portugal is that strong. They couldn't put away an uninspired England down a man. I'd say talent-wise, they are about even, both teams have several super stars, some young, some old, and then a bunch of strong supporting role players.

I'd say Portugal is a little suspect defensively, but have a great keeper and France is strong defensively, with a weak keeper.

So, it is again, a really tough call. It'll honestly probably come down to Zidane. If he plays well, France wins. If not, Portugal, maybe in PKs.

No comments: