Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Logging

Film: Oppenheimer

To contextualize the experience: seeing with a group of friends at the Mann's Chinese (one of the greatest theaters in the city - if not world) in 70MM Imax with a packed audience - before the credits rolled, the night was already a win. The film didn't disappoint by any stretch and the first 1.5 (?) or 2 hours about the creation of the bomb were gripping, if not spectacular. The 3rd act didn't totally land for me. I was going with it but kept thinking to myself: is this really just going to be about the appointment of a cabinet secretary? 

So...a tad mixed feelings about the overall film...I was yearning so much to be blown away. I think part of me was expecting to feel what movie lovers of a prior generation felt about Citizen Kane...which I suppose means I went in with too high expectations. A few other notes/thoughts:

-Cillian Murphy was terrific, but didn't he do something similar with Tommy Shelby (and maybe even better?)

-Josh Harnett should model the next phase of his career on Alec Baldwin and just make sure the weapons masters he works with aren't drunk and high on cocaine.

-I've read criticisms of the dialog. Was it so bad? Have I lost my ear?

-Valid criticisms: there are at least 2 movies in here, maybe 3? The best one was about the team of nerds building the bomb.

-If I rewatch, it will be in the theater and I will most be paying attention to the first sequence.

Film: Ash is the Purest White

A masterpiece and a must watch for serious movie lovers and those curious about China. A Touch of Sin and this are two of the top 5 Chinese films I've seen (same director). Asian-American actors should take lessons from Asian-Asian actors. This one will live with me.

Film: Cutter's Way

Is this the 2nd or 3rd time I've watched this film? I like it better each time. The performances are astonishing. John Hurt is beyond...and I imagine it will be (or already is) fashionable to mention Lisa Eichhorn and even Jeff Bridges...and don't get me wrong, they are terrific. But sometimes it's okay to just take the non-contrarian position and say: yeah, I think Lebron James is the best player on the court. John Hurt reaches a different and rare level in this film.


No comments: