Thursday, October 10, 2019

Logging

Film: Joker

A dark, grumpy movie and it seems like Todd Phillips is in a bad mood. It's a bit derivative in that, it just takes the same idea as Nolan's/Ledger's Joker and digs deeper. It pays homage to King of Comedy and Taxi Driver, but this only adds to the derivative nature, methinks. All that said, on a technical level - on cinematic/artistic grounds - come on folks - it was impressive. The story conceit, a small character study of the Joker with about 8 total characters in the film. The acting, the cinematography, the use of dance. It was good. I'm impressed on cinematic level. The cultural level...I don't really know what to say other than I was sitting next to a group of what seemed to me impressionable young men who were cheering when the Joker rose from near death and that struck me as maybe a misreading of the film.

No comments: