Sunday, December 09, 2018

Secret Hitler

I've now played four games and been a Fascist four times without being Hitler. The odds of this happening are roughly (.3x.3x.3x.3 = less than 1%). Maybe the game knows something I don't.

In the first two games, the liberals won. In the second two games, we won.

A few observations:

1) The first couple times playing as a Fascist are difficult because you aren't quite sure the degree to which you should lie and I got identified early than I would've liked.

2) Having significantly more Fascist policies in the deck is what makes the game play even out.

3) Strikes me the optimal liberal policy is to identify three guaranteed liberals as quick as possible and then just create a liberal triangle to get policies passed.

4) I wonder if playing more makes you better, or whether becoming a better playing is all about knowing or figuring out the group dynamics.

5) I wonder if the game benefits from having players of mixed ability within the game. Most games benefit from having "equal" experience for sake of pace, etc. Think: tennis. Or poker. I actually think "playing dumb" is quite a good Fascist strategy or playing off inexperience can fluster liberals.

6) We never got Hitler elected, but instead got six Fascist policies passed.

7) The funniest part of the game playing as a Fascist is watching the liberals accuse each other and even assassinate one another (part of the game play).

No comments: