Thursday, July 03, 2014

Logging

Film:  Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I'd heard nothing but good things, so I was a bit disappointed. The self-referential narration probably seemed clever to some, but to me, it felt self-conscious and reflective of narrative insecurity. I didn't find the POV of Los Angeles particularly insightful. There was some snappy dialog that made me laugh and I enjoyed the overall idea of the movie, but I just didn't find it executed all that well. The plotting was weak and confusing. All said, it wasn't a BAD movie, just not a very good one. I prefer The Last Boyscout, which uses all the same noir tropes without the self-conscious narration. And it has the creepy and prescient opening scene of an NFL player shooting himself on the field (google Jovan Belcher).

No comments: