Friday, January 14, 2011

Manning vs. Brady

I used to think Brady was better. And this season would certainly support the Brady Theory. Three Superbowl's to Mannings one. Could be four to one after this season. Much better playoff winning percentage. Doesn't have the tendency to choke or pull what Bill Simmons calls "The Manning Face." But I can't help but think about last year and seeing what I saw in Manning. I saw Manning defeat Belichick and Brady from the sidelines. Belichick went for a crazy fourth and 3 just to avoid giving the ball back to Manning. And guess what? It was the smart thing to do in the situation. The only other time I've seen such awe/reverence/fear from an opponent is when Buck Showalter walked Barry Bonds with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th inning down by 2. Can you imagine? Walking a guy with the bases loaded. I think it's the only time that occurred in baseball post WW2.

My current theory: Manning was going to make any team he played for very good. Brady happened into a circumstance with Belichick where their skills perfectly complemented one another. Who is better? Hard to say. But if I were a team with a number one pick and a 22 year old Brady and a 22 year old Manning were available, I think the choice is a no-brainer. If I'm the Pats right now and I want to win the Super Bowl, I also think the choice is a no brainer.

No comments: