Friday, August 07, 2026

Logging

TV: Your Friends and Neighbors

I'm sort of hate watching the show. My wife overhears and asks, "Is Jon Hamm a good actor?" Never really considered the question before; I think his main skill as a leading TV man is that the audience is willing to buy that hot women will throw themselves at him, thus fulfilling a fantasy crucial for the drama to function. 

My big problem with the show is the meta-message seems to be: don't hate the rich, they're really miserable too and really only need gobstoppers and a little trampoline bouncing just like you and me to be happy (how the episode I just finished ended). I'm sure the showrunner wouldn't characterize it quite this way, but that's my read. At least Entourage had the decency to be like: this fucking world rules. This show tries to make you believe this world sucks. What ideology is beneath that representation? I think it functions as a perverted way to justify useless privilege. If I can make myself emotionally miserable, people will sympathize with me. Is that not the chief governing ideology in blue regions today that holds us together? In the show nobody seems to have any purpose in life beyond money and fucking. No one builds anything. People "work" in finance and money management but seem to have no philosophy or purpose in doing so. They waste money investing in retarded toilets. They are therapists to underprivileged kids but don't help them at all. The only noble people play music of questionable quality. The crime in the show is a cry for help, a desperate attempt to feel alive. Maybe I just talked myself into liking the show...

No comments: