Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Logging

Book: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George RR Martin

I think it might be his best. 

As highly rated as he is, he's still underrated. 

Film: The Odyssey

I foolishly saw this in 70mm non-IMAX, only realizing it when I got to the theater and was like, "WTF is up with this normal-ass movie screen."  

The film had some incredible sequences. While watching the Cyclops section, I couldn't stop thinking, "why weren't people talking about this portion of the film?" I thought it was incredible. Finale sequence with the suitors is terrific as well. The sack of Troy. But when strung all together, the film suffers from repetition. Too many sequences of - guys arrive on shore, find problem, run back to boats. Too much Odysseus and Calypso discussing his memory loss and return home. Too much repetitive dialogue across different scenes of characters banging home certain thematic messages. And finally, I didn't vibe with the idea of Odysseus's guilt about using the Trojan Horse. Bro, you were at war. You fight to win. It just didn't feel like either the world of the Greeks or the world of today, if you get down to it. It feels to me like the attitude and thoughts of a person who spends too much time sitting in a chair. 

The movie needed a Harvey Weinstein pair of eyes. There were sections in the middle where I felt myself wanting to sleep. I don't understand 3 hour films. I don't want my legs to feel stiff or to need to pee during a movie. A 3 hour film guarantees these things. This film could've easily been 2 hours and probably would've been better for it. If The Searchers could do it, Nolan could do it. 

I wanted to write more on this, including commentary on the crazy Emily Wilson review but...

No comments: