Thursday, May 30, 2024

Logging

TV: Ripley E2

A careful, black and white, beautiful bookish adaptation of the novel. Period details are chef's kiss - the vehicles, clothes, setting. And then the intro to the Freddy Miles character. Played memorably by Philip Seymour Hoffman in the film. I'm watching. Thinking...did they make Freddy a girl? That doesn't make sense? But no...still named Freddy? Is this a weird male actor? I have no idea what they've done. This morning, I remember how weird it was watching this last night as I was falling asleep. So I check IMDB. They cast Sting's child who identifies as They. So I guess that means no gender. But I kinda just want to know what the fuck I'm watching - a 13 year gay kid or a transgender women....a little internet sleuthing reveals this is Sting's daughter. 

What a strange decision in this show. So much attention to detail to recreate a 1950s show and then they introduce the most 2024 of ideas in a major way. 

We might be underestimating how much influence the show Hamilton had on entertainment. Not for the better, IMO.

No comments: