Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Logging

Film: She's the One

First time I've done this: watched a film they were doing on the Rewatchables pod and then listened. Gotta say, pretty fun. But probably don't have time to do this very often. Never, however, has a stronger case been made for censorship than Wesley Morris insisting Mike McGlone's character in She's the One should "just been gay." How many times did he need to bring this up? How many times did the rest of the guys just need to laugh at his insanity and try to move on? But in addition to the worst take on the film, Morris also had the best take. Re: how Cameron Diaz's differs from Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock. She's DTF. When you're right, you're right.

Back to the film itself. Not great, but I never wanted to turn it off. They kept saying Ed Burns was imitating Woody Allen, and I see that. I see that for sure. But Allen is a neurotic and a comedian. Burns, however, is a sap. But I don't mean that in a bad way. In fact, watching this movie made me feel like we're really missing the sappy-dude movie. All the screaming harpies in the culture have really shriveled up our dicks. 80s-90s, lots of sappy guy films - Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet's Society, Stand By Me, Beautiful Girls, Brothers McMullen, Diner, Breaking Away. Someone emerge from the ether, I beg of you...

TV: Attack on Titan S1 E1-6

Incredible world building and antagonist force. Love me a good military sci-fi. But also, so unrelentingly bleak in tone, I'm not sure I want to be in the headspace. 

TV: House of the Dragon S3

With lower expectations, I'm kinda back into it.

NOTE: Inventive military tactics this season - the harpoon with water balloon pulling down a dragon? The burrows hidden on ground like mines to disable horses and slow a march? A terrorist campaign against cops within the capital? Not bad.

Other note, in E4-5 we get a little pro-life abortion storyline and some hints at religious conversion/curiosity for Rhaenyra  Who would've thought? Somebody in the writing room is paying attention to right wing cultural discourse. I say Get Out gave as a warning signal that "systemic racism" and "anti-racism" as an idea was about the hit a cultural tipping point in 2017 and the life choices made by the characters in Girls is a good foreshadowing of DSA and Mandami (aren't most of the characters in the show the folks who voted for him?). So what does House of the Dragon portend?

No comments: