Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Logging

Film: The Wild Robot

It would not surprise me to see this get a best picture nomination. I'm loathe to admit, but movie animation making large creative strides that cohere artistically unlike its live action counterparts.

Film: Megaopolis

I've encountered this phenomenon twice now in theaters where some part of the audience laughs, but I'm not sure whether it's at the movie or with the movie. Or perhaps both? For all the low audience numbers in the press, at the AMC on Monday night, this movie was half-full. Not bad although this might be the movie crowd sensing it won't last long in cinemas. One of these laughs was when a giant hand reached out of a cloud and grabbed the moon. Cut to Giancarlo Esposito sitting up in bed telling his wife "I just had a dream where a hand reached out of a cloud and grabbed the moon." Not sure what's going on here on a narrative, filmmaking, and audience level -- is it the equivalent of listening to drunk Uncle Bob on Thanksgiving? At another point in the movie Adam Driver says something to the effect, "Man should only love women," which elicited uncomfortable chuckles (I am assuming he was quoting Marcus Aurelius, btw).

I'm enjoying the contrarian takes on the film that its full of ideas and not boring, etc. But...come on now. What astonishes me is not all the clunky writing and uneven pace and plot holes but how the film wasn't all that pleasurable to look at. Consider the images in The Godfather films, The Conversation, or Apocalypse Now -- or even the documentary films he produced - Koyaanisqatsi or Powaqqatsi? It seems to me the quality of images has regressed.

For the first half of the movie I was thinking: this is brilliant - Coppola has managed at age 85 to make what feels like a first feature film. He's somehow regressed into his youth. But by the end, I no longer felt that way. 

I have one strange theory...this film was actually made to be re-cut by billions of people on the internet into their own remix versions of the film.

Film: Billy Madison

Kids loved it.

Film: Mission Impossible 

Kids weren't that into it, actually got frightened by first act since Ethan Hunt's entire team was murdered. I did not recall Emilio Estevez was in this film and gets impaled in the first act. That said, I think I'm doing them a service by showing them how DePalma places the camera...

I might start including the scene in the restaurant between Cruise and Henry Czerny as a scene study. Really awesome scene...

No comments: